Lyminge Excavations 2014: Dr G Thomas and Dr A Knox
Interim report on the University of Reading excavations at Lyminge, Kent.
See photos on inside front cover, inside back cover.
The Hogben Map in the Village Car Park: Duncan Harrington
The map created in 1760 by Thomas Hogben sets out the lands belonging to the vicarage and glebes (pieces of land serving as part of a clergyman’s benefice and providing income) of Lyminge united with the chapels of Stanford and Paddlesworth together with the lands belonging to the Court Lodge.
Thomas Hogben (1702-1774): John Foad
This interesting article on Kentish sundials, which is not specific to Lyminge, tells of the sundials made by Thomas Hogben of Smarden, mentioned in the above chapter.
Wheelbarrow Town: David McDine
This is an intriguing conjecture on the origins of a local place name.
See also photos on inside back cover and back cover.
The Queen, The Virgin and the Body Snatchers: Robert Baldwin
How Lyminge Parish Church erroneously acquired its current dedication to Saint Ethelburga.
The clarification of the confusion between Ethelburga and Saint Eadburgh is detailed, each of great significance in the early history of Lyminge.
A Grave Mystery or a Stone Unturned: Michael Chisnall
A detective story concerning one of two gravestones from the Methodist cemetery regarding George Broadridge and his wife Susanna and their three daughters. George died in 1874 and Susanna in 1850.
The old Methodist Burial Ground: Duncan Harrington
The second gravestone, which had been recently retrieved from number 3 Wesley Terrace, intrigued the author sufficiently to research this further. The stone is dedicated to Richard William, (died aged 20 in 1854) and Elizabeth Ann Rigden (died aged 12 in 1853) son and daughter of Edward and his wife Jane Rigden.
More Childhood Memories of Lyminge: Phipps and Harrington
This article is from the recollections of Douglas Phipps from an interview made by Duncan Harrington on 24 February 2015 and expanded with research into Douglas’ family history.
Old Ordnance Maps of Lyminge: Alex Kent
This fascinating examination of the village is seen through a series of Ordnance Survey maps showing Lyminge in 1873, 1898, 1907 and 1945.
The chapter also gives the origins of Ordnance Survey.
Spiders in and around your home: Ed Allan
Arachnaphobes look away now! This chilling description of local spiders is enough to make you head for the hills.
The oil lamps lighting Lyminge streets: Duncan Harrington
Further to the article in Lyminge a History part 2, Chapter 7, concerning Albert Tanton who was the Lyminge lamp-lighter, this chapter elaborates further through the minutes of the Parochial Committee on the oil lamps being lit in the village, between 1920 and 1933.
Westenhanger Castle and the plight of a widow:
In the late 14th Century, Lettice Crioll, a widow, endured being terrorised for four hours by Sir John Cornwaille after he tricked his way into her fortified Kent manor dressed as a friar and then let 40 armed men inside.